Thursday, September 15, 2011

piggy cake










To go along with the piggy cookies that I made in my last post, I also made a piggy cake.  To get the shape of the piggy head, I used the same cake pan that I used for my Hello Kitty shaped cake.  I figured the shape of the face and the ears could be easily turned into a pig! 



Since the birthday girl loves chocolate, I baked two layers of my favorite chocolate cake, and then filled it with a rich chocolate mousse (the same chocolate mousse recipe that I used to fill my heart surprise cake, as well as the various triple chocolate mousse cakes that I've made.)  Once filled and stacked, I cut off Hello Kitty's bow and carved the cake a bit to further shape the piggy ears.  Then I covered it with pink cream cheese frosting.


After the crumb coat of frosting was applied, I piped black frosting for the eyes and the outline of the snout.  Then I filled in the piggy face with the pink frosting, using a star tip.


I thought the resulting piggy cake was really cute, although next time I'd probably do an extra layer of frosting for the snout, so that it would be raised a bit higher than the rest of the face.  In any case, I hope the birthday girl enjoyed her piggy cake and cookies!  Happy Birthday!



15 comments:

  1. Oh how cute, this would be perfect for my little girl, she loves the show Olivia. Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you have very good piping skills. Must have a steady hand.
    Very pretty cake! Clever idea to use the hello kitty pan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute birthday cake- I am sure that the birthday girl loved it! Who could say no to chocolate-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. pink piggy! absolutely incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I can see what you mean by the snout but it still looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks everyone! glad you all like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is adorable! and I bet delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This little piggy is so adorable! :) It puts a smile on my face. I'm sure the birthday girl loves it too, who wouldn't? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is absolutely adorable! I am SO buzzing this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so stinkin cute - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this on foodgawker and had to come comment! It's so adorable and the piping is perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm the birthday girl and I LOVED IT! thank you so much! Me and my friends were so impressed!

    ReplyDelete