Wednesday, March 19, 2014

meatloaf cupcakes with mashed potato frosting


In all the excitement of posting the funfetti cake, ice cream, and cupcakes that I made for Micah's first birthday celebration this past February, I almost forgot to post what I made for dinner! We wanted to make a simple dinner to celebrate with family - I decided to make my favorite macaroni and cheese (from America's Test Kitchen) since the kids love it, along with meatloaf and tossed salad.


As I was preparing the components for the meatloaf, I suddenly remembered a show on Food Network I had seen a long time ago, where they featured a restaurant in Chicago that made meatloaf cupcakes topped with mashed potatoes as frosting. (I specifically remember it was in Chicago because I had immediately texted my cousin in Chicago to ask if she knew of the place!) And so I decided to turn my meatloaf into cupcakes as well!


After forming my meatloaf into giant meatballs, I patted them into a cupcake tin, and then brushed on a mixture of brown sugar, ketchup and ground mustard.


I baked them at 350F for about 25 minutes, until the meat was cooked through and the glaze had become dark and sticky.


My husband whipped up a quick batch of mashed potatoes, deliciously flavored with butter, heavy cream, and salt. Then I filled a piping bag fitted with a large star tip, and got to work piping my mashed potato "frosting"!


The final touch was a sprinking of chopped green onions. Aren't they cute?!

2 comments:

  1. Those meatloaf cupcakes look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! I'm definitely going to have to try your recipe out.
    When I was still dating my husband, I made him meatloaf cupcakes just like yours, except that the sprinkles were parsley flakes. He thought they were the most amazing things he had ever seen. LOL. Chic and Alluring Blog

    ReplyDelete