Sunday, February 4, 2018

red and white lovebird cookies


Just last week, a friend of a friend asked me to make cookies for her sister's wedding shower dinner. She wanted favors for the guests to take home with him, and after seeing the lovebird cookies that I made for my brother's wedding a couple of years ago, and she requested them in red and white.

For the cookies, I used my favorite sugar cookie recipe (you can find the recipe in my book, The Hello Kitty Baking Book!), rolled it out to about 1/8 inch thick and cut out shapes with a heart-shaped cookie cutter (the largest one from this nested set of heart cookie cutters). Then I baked them at 350F for 10-12 minutes until they were golden around the edges.


Once all of the cookies were baked and cooled, I whipped up a batch of royal icing (recipe also in my book!), and used stiff icing to outline half of the heart, before filling it in with runny icing.



Next I tinted about a third of the icing super red (that's the actual name of the color!), and used stiff red icing to outline the other half of the cookie, before filling it in with red runny icing.


After letting the icing dry for several hours (I usually let them dry overnight), I was ready to add the lovebird details! I started by piping a brown branch for the lovebirds to sit on (done with medium running icing), and once that was dry I piped golden yellow beaks and little bird feet on the branch.



Then I used black stiff icing to pipe the little eyes, using the smallest piping tip I had.



I also added little wing details. And then they were done!




Aren't they cute?




Do you like them better in red and white, or the original blue and white?




Congratulations to the bride and groom!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michele, this fits perfectly with the themes for Food on Friday: February. Please bring it on over to share it with everyone. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete